Friday 21 June 2013

Thank Routeco It's Friday! (TRIF)

North v South

So last week I met a few people and they were asking me where I am from and where I go to university… When I told them that I am from Northampton but go to university in Sheffield it started my all-time favourite debate...

The great North vs South!

Best question: What do you have on your chips?
Cheese? Curry Sauce? Or Gravy?

Most annoying question I get asked whilst in Sheffield: Why do you put an ‘R’ in Bath, Grass etc.?
This has caused hours of debating of which is correct!

Is it a bap, roll, barm, tea cake or breadcake? (The latter left me completely perplexed when I first came across this)

I try to fit in when up North – I use some of the local lingo and have tried the different foods (gravy on my chips) but after my first term in Sheffield I came home for Christmas with an accent that was something else… I started missing out random vowels and each time I said no it seemed to come out as “Nuooooo”.

I absolutely love both the North and the South, and count myself lucky that I have experienced living in both.
Have a great weekend!
Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment