Friday 22 November 2013

Thank Routeco It's Friday (TRIF)

GoldieBlox Adverts...Popcorn Kernels and Skateboards

I stumbled across this the other day, it was going viral on social networking sites and ended up on the news feed of my Facebook.


Two things I LOVE about this ad:
 
First one, is that it reminds me of all the crazy experiments we used to do as kids, whether that was building ramps for bikes/roller skates/skateboards (yes I grew up with two older brothers!!) with random objects in the garage or water experiments…this list is endless!! I guess my experimenting isn’t quite as extreme now, (not sure it would be advisable for me to take to a skateboard again!!) it takes the form of artistic experiments, mixing media, seeing what happens if I mix two completely obscure objects and put them on canvas.
 
And then there’s the other end of the spectrum, the fake experiment ‘fakexperiment’ more of a prank really, the experiment which you know wont ever work but you convince somebody to try it. A classic of mine is the popcorn kernel experiment, very simple and easy to do if you can keep a straight face, and select an experiementee who is relatively open-minded. Here’s how it works… convincingly you explain that if you hold a popcorn kernel in your mouth (37 degs) for over a 5 minute time period it will explode into a popcorn piece. You then get them to try it, after 5 minutes you say something along the lines of ‘ahh it must be a tough kernel’ and get them to hold it for another few minutes. After about 8 minutes of absolutely nothing, just a soggy kernel, science and intelligence kicks in and the experiment comes to an end, definitely worth the laugh!
 
Just in case you actually have ever achieved a popping kernel in 37 deg please let me know!!!
 
The other thing I love about the ad…is the encouragement to get women into engineering, science and making it OK to not play with barbies the whole time. There is only so many times you can change her outfit, or give her a haircut before she starts to look like Miley Cyrus. It is clever, it is insightful and it is fun, incredible concept from GoldieBlox…looking forward to see what their next campaign will be like!
 
Have a fabulous weekend and let me know what crazy experiements/fakexperiments you’ve tried out.


Ashleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment